Thursday, October 23, 2008

The DMZ

Today was one of those days that make you say, "I can't believe what I'm seeing. And in 2008!" Today we went to the DMZ, Demilitarized Zone. Its the buffer space between Communist North Korea and free South Korea. North Korea is determined they are not going to let their people leave. There was barbed wire and checkpoints everywhere. Most of the time we were not allowed to take photos. It was unreal. We did go to an area which is called Tunnel #3. Several years ago, it was discovered that Kim Jung-Il, the dictator of No. Korea had several tunnels built. A high-ranking officer from North Korea ratted him out and four of the tunnels were found. The plan was that North Korea could invade South Korea and would be able to send in 30,000 troops an hour. WOW! North Korea even smeared coal on the tunnel walls so that they could say the tunnels were just coal mines! (Sad truth is - there isn't even any coal to be mined in that area!) But it was really scary to see what a dictorial regime is capable of doing and how precarious and precious our freedom can be. (My Dad earned a Bronze Star in the Korean War, so it was especially touching to me.)
On to your questions, and you sure have a lot!
Buddhist praying styles are that they take off their shoes before entering the temple. They get down on their knees and put their hands together with their fingers touching their forheads and sing/chant a mantra. They also leave little tokens and gifts for Buddha. They seem to be very devout.
I have seen sparrows. Not in the city, but at the monuments and parks. That seems to be where they like to hang out. Despite Mao's efforts, they seem to be thriving.
Most of the newspaper in both Korea and China have been in Korean and Chinese. Here in Korea, the only one I've really been able to get a hold of is Financial News, and with the state of the US economy, that's not one I really want to read!
I have only seen factories from afar. When China decided to clean up for the Olympics, they actually moved a lot of factories out to the rural areas. There is still TONS of building going on in Shanghai and Beijing, but not so much in Seoul. (There's a joke in Shanghai: What bird will never be extinct in Shanghai? The crane. There are cranes EVERYWHERE for building.)
The cities are very modern. The only "traditions" I have really seen have been the religious ones and the cultural performances I've seen. (Like the Beijing Opera and the Korean Folk Museum) Other than that, people act very much like you do. I was told people in Korea would be very pushy, but I haven't found that to be so at all. It's pretty crowded, but all bg cities are. And you take your life in your hands when you try to cross the street! You guys would think its gay, but the Asians often link arms and put their arms around one another while they're walking. Its just the way they do things.
To my knowledge, marriages are not arranged except in some very old families. I've been told that families really frown upon marrying another race though. I don't know if the young people are paying any attention though because out on the streets there were many mixed couples. (Maybe they are just hanging out and will never marry. I don't know.)
The police cars are small. I haven't seen many of them either. I did find a fire station and took pictures of the fire trucks for you EMS guys. I have a picture I thin from the Forbidden Palace where the police "cars" are just little golf carts.
The boys and girls do go to school together. In China the schools were very organized and the kids very well-behaved. In Korea, the kids were more relaxed in class. But as I told you, many of them do "institutes" after class so that they can do better on their tests. They get so tired, they often fall asleep in class! The competition is intense!
The roads in the cities are like ours. Big freeways, traffic lights, speeding, etc. In the older areas, the streets are narrower, but still wide enough for traffic. Large highways link all parts of the country.
I don't know of any festivals going on right now. Down the street from our hotel is a large park and they seem to be doing something on a regular basis. Bands and singers, etc. The kids hang out and listen to the music.
I wish I could take more pictures to show you what I mean by "fashionable." I couldn't go around taking pictures or someone was going to think I was a pervert or something! Look at the bottom of the blog and you'll see the three I posted. The girls dress up like they just stepped out of the pages of a fashion magazine! (To get the pictures of the Beijing University students, I said, "I'm an American teacher and I told my students I'd post some pictures of some hot Chinese young people. May I take your picture?" That's what made them smile!)
The kids listen to some American music, but a lot of it sounds like your kind of music but in Chines. I've seen billboards and posters around and though I can't read it, its obviously some Asian singers and such.
I saw military people all over the place at the DMZ and at some of the monuments and historical sights. Here in Korea, they have a channel called AFN, Armed Forces Network, and its obviously for the American service men and women stationed in Korea.
I don't much about the welfare system at all. Since China is Communist, they have a health plan and I believe there's guaranteed work. From what I've seen and heard, it seems like Korea is a lot like us. For health. I really don't think there is much of a welfare system. They have strong families and I think they would be too proud to accept it. I could be wrong though. WE can research it later.
I think the people are MUCH healthier here. Their meals have a lot of fresh vegetables and seafood, though the Koreans eat more meat than the Chinese. I have not seen ONE overweight Asian person. I kid you not!
I don't know what holidays they have. Again, we can research that. High school kids go 40 weeks a year. That's 4 weeks longer than you.
I don't know about their nightclubs.
Korea has a voting systems very similar to ours. They elect a Congress and President for Five years. China is a Communist country and has only one party, so you don't have a choice. I had heard, and it seems to be true, that the Chinese are very satisfied with the government and what its doing for the people. But then again I didn't talk to everyone. Its obvious though that the government has done a lot to improve the lives of the people. I read an article before I left that the Chinese young people don't even miss not having the same freedoms we have in America. We can talk about that when I get back.
I don't know the age to vote. We'll have to find out.
I immediately switched to Asian time. Didn't sleep much on the plane when I flew out, so when I got here the first night I was exhausted and immediately fell asleep and got on Asian time.
Sorry I can't bring you all T-shirts. I'm just an American teacher on an American teacher's salary! Yes, there are men and women teachers here. Not many men though. And the teacher all seem so young. I don't know what happens to the old ones!
The food in Korea is VERY spicy. They have a traditional dish they eat all the time called KimChi. Its VERY spicy.
The police officers don't carry guns, just billy clubs. And I asked our guide about jails. She said they were bad and nobody would ever want to end up in one.
When students misbehave, they are sent to a counselor who counsels them. Apparently that's all that's needed! Asians have a very strong sense of group. As an individual, you don't want to do anything that would bring harm to the group, whether it you family or class. It would be shameful.
I haven't seem a private home, but I understand the apartments are fairly small. Just too many people living in one area.
No, I didn't buy knock offs. I'm not into name brands, so I don't care if they are Gucci or Coach.
OKAY, I think I answered all the questions! Let me know if I missed one!

This'll probably be my last blog from Asia. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for us and Saturday we fly back home. I have really enjoyed your interest and if you have more questions, I'll try to get to them during my airport layover.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ms. Thomley, We have really enjoyed all your answers! Kayla still wants to know about house pets. A rough estimate of the boy and girl ratio in China. What do the kids know about Obama and why do they like him? Safe trip home, Ms.Boria's 1st period.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms,Thomley, Can't wait to you get back! Do they have any American candy like skittles? Can you bring back any Korean or Chinese candy? and money? We look forward to our pen pals!! See you soon! Ms.Boria's 3rd!
P.S. Bring back a panda for a class pet!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms.Thomley, Can you bring us back Mao's Little Red Book?(in English) Who is the chairman now? Have a safe trip, and we look forward to many pictures when you get home! Thanks! Ms.Boria's4th